What our guarantees, standards and accreditations mean
We are proud to be recognised for our quality, reliability and sustainability, which is why we put our products through rigorous testing and use materials from FSC® and PEFC™ certified sources to maintain our corporate responsibilities. We also constantly strive to develop the latest technological innovations in order to provide cutting-edge, energy-efficient products.
Our commitment to this has resulted in many of our products meeting certain standards and receiving official accreditations and accolades.
- Howdens Joinery is a British business. We pride ourselves on the sense of local community, traditional values and long-established relationships that thrive in our depots throughout the country and manufacturing facilities. The UK logo on our website indicates that the products illustrated are manufactured and assembled in the UK.
- A number of our kitchen and bathroom cabinets, laminate worktops, breakfast bars, upstands, backboards and a selection of our kitchen doors and joinery products are manufactured in the UK at our sites in Howden, East Yorkshire, and Runcorn in Cheshire.
- All our manufacturing sites hold the British Standard (BS) ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System accreditation. This requires organisations to demonstrate their ability to consistently provide products that meet customer and applicable statutory and regulatory obligations, and aims to enhance customer satisfaction through the effective application of the system.
- All our manufacturing, warehouse and distribution sites hold the BS ENOHSAS18001 Health and Safety Standard accreditation. This requires organisations to promote a safe and healthy working environment by implementing a framework that identifies and controls health and safety risks, reduces potential accidents, aids legal compliance and improves overall performance.
- We work closely with our suppliers to ensure that the items we purchase come from responsibly managed sources and are produced in a socially responsible way. Howdens Joinery is certified to operate the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) and the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification™ (PEFC™) Chain of Custody certificates, which apply to a number of products as indicated by the relevant logos on our website.
- 100% of wood-based material used in Howdens UK based manufacturing is from FSC® certified sources.
- Howdens Joinery has been awarded the ISO 14001:2015 accreditation for demonstrating and continually developing sound environmental performance by BM Trada. BM Trada provides independent certification, testing, inspection, training and technical services globally.
- 98% of all waste produced in manufacturing and logistics is diverted from landfill by recycling and producing heat energy for our factories.
- All cardboard packaging we use is sourced from recycled or certified sources.
Kitchens and cabinets
- Our rigid cabinets are tested to BS6222:2009 Part 2 Level H*, BS EN14749:2016 Domestic and kitchen storage units and worktops and BS6222:1999 Part 3 Domestic Kitchen equipment: Durability of surface finish and adhesion of surfacing and edging materials.
* Some cabinets require additional components to meet Level H standards.
- We have achieved FIRA accreditation and a FIRA Gold award for product excellence on rigid cabinets and kitchen ranges. FIRA is renowned globally for its expertise in testing, research, consultancy, customer care, ergonomics, training/events and sustainability. The FIRA Gold Award is the ultimate mark of product excellence within the furniture industry.
- We have FSC® certification on selected kitchen ranges.
- In the unlikely event of a problem occurring with our kitchen or bathroom cabinetry as a result of a defect in the manufacturing process or raw materials, we will promptly and without charge replace any cabinet (excluding doors) for a period of within 25 years from its installation date in the UK. We will replace any door (subject to availability of the model) for a period of within 5 years from the date of its installation in the UK.
- All worktops come with a 1-year manufacturer’s guarantee. In the unlikely event of a defect in manufacturing or raw materials, we will replace any worktop promptly and without charge.
- Our laminate worktops are tested to BS6222:1999 Part 3.
- Selected worktops use chipboard complying with BS EN312:2010 Type P3.
- All our matt laminate 28mm with P3 grade moisture resistance worktops are tested to and meet FIRA Gold Award standards.
- All our laminate worktops and breakfast bars have FSC® certification, and all our upstands have PEFC™ certification.
Our flooring products come with one of two guarantees:
- Finish and wear
The flooring will not separate, peel or wear through for the time specified, within the environment specified (residential or commercial) and, where stated, the use specified (light, medium or heavy). In the unlikely event of a defect in manufacturing or raw materials, we will replace any flooring promptly and without charge.
The flooring will not buckle or warp for the time specified, within the environment specified (residential or commercial). In the unlikely event of a defect in manufacturing or raw materials, we will replace any flooring promptly and without charge.
- All lighting comes with a 2-year guarantee (excluding bulbs). In the unlikely event of a defect in manufacturing or raw materials, we will replace any lighting product promptly and without charge.
- Effective from 15 July 2019, all new Lamona appliances come with a 3-year manufacturer’s guarantee from the date of purchase. All Lamona appliances bought before 15 July 2019 will come with a two-year guarantee. Lamona ovens also include a 5-year guarantee on door glass. Guarantees for other branded products that we offer may be subject to registration.
- All appliances meet safety requirements of British and European Standards.
- We are working in partnership with the Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances (AMDEA), to support the Register My Appliance initiative.
Sinks and taps
- All sinks are manufactured to European Standards BS EN13310:2015.
- All Lamona taps comply with the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999.
- We have FSC® or PEFC™ certification on selected products.
- All our door glazing meets BS6206/BS EN12600, BS EN1279 or BS EN12150 accreditation.
The following sets out the regulations that apply to selected joinery products. Door ranges that include products conforming to these regulations are marked with the relevant icon on the product pages of our website.
- Fire doors (FD) – Howdens doors are tested to BS 476: Part 22: 1987, achieving fire resistance up to 30 minutes (FD30) or 60 minutes (FD60) when hung and installed in accordance with the instructions provided with the door. Our fire doors are supported by third-party test evidence, assessment or certification schemes.
- Essential Fire door Hardware (FH) – Essential hardware is any concealed or projecting hardware that ensures the integrity of a fire door assembly or door set during a fire for up to 30 or 60 minutes dependant on its rating. All Howdens essential hardware is tested to their relative standards and test evidence is available in the local depot should your customer request it. The three key products that ensure a fire doors performance are hinges, door closers and a latch or lock.
- Non-essential fire door hardware (FH) – Non-essential hardware is classed as any hardware that is face fixed to a fire door. Non-essential hardware does not have a requirement to be fire rated. This includes items such as kick plates, fingerplates and signage.
- Part E doors (E) – sound reducing. Doors which conform to Building Regulation Part E help to minimise sound travel, providing a peaceful and quiet environment.
- Part L doors (L) – warmth & insulation suitable for new build. Doors carrying Building Regulation Part L have a greater thermal efficiency and help to keep rooms warm and cosy. Suitable for most new-build and extension projects. A U-Value of 2.00 W/m2 K or better is achieved by these products, when fitted with an approved frame in accordance with instructions.
- Part L doors (L) – warmth & insulation suitable for refurbishment projects. Doors carrying Building Regulation Part L have a greater thermal efficiency and help to keep rooms warm and cosy. Suitable for most refurbishment projects where both door and frame are being replaced. A U-Value of 1.80 W/m2 K or better is achieved by these products, when fitted with an approved frame in accordance with instructions.
- Part M doors (M) – mobility and access. For access and facilities for disabled people, wider doors and reduced threshold heights are required by Building Regulation Part M (selected sizes only).
- A selection of our door furniture products, including some handles and draught excluders, come with an operational warranty for a specified period. In the unlikely event of a defect in manufacturing or raw materials, we will replace any door furniture products promptly and without charge.
- A selection of our pre-finished doors come with a 5-year guarantee. In the unlikely event of a defect in manufacturing or raw materials, we will replace any doors promptly and without charge.
British Standards door security information
- In all instances it is good practice to fit British Standard (BS) approved locks to all external doors. In many cases this is an insurance company requirement. Our Union BS 5 lever locks carry the BSI Kitemark™ and are approved to either BS 3621: 2007 or BS EN 1303: 2005, rigorous test standards to which the locks must perform.
- BS 3621: 2007 – A well-established product standard for thief-resistant locks in the UK. Locks tested to BS 3621: 2007 must exceed a minimum level of performance and be subjected to a general vulnerability assessment to enable the product to be Kitemark™ by BSI.
- BS EN 1303: 2005 – The product standard for thief-resistant cylinders for locks in the UK. Locks tested to BS EN 1303: 2005 must pass various performance and vulnerability assessments to enable the product to be Kitemark™ by BSI.
- BS EN 1906: 2012 - The European standard covering the performance requirements and test methods (i.e. durability, static strength, operating torque, corrosion, safety, etc.) for sprung and unsprung lever handles and knobs for doors on back plates or roses. Selected handles in our range offer a full BS EN 1906 classification and all handles undergo two of the primary tests within the standard for durability and corrosion resistance.
- BS EN 1935: 2012 - The European standard specifying requirements for single-axis hinges for windows and doors opening in one direction only. It covers both fixed pin and lift-off hinges and contains additional requirements for hinges intended for use on fire doors.
- BS EN 1154: 1997 – The European standard for controlled door closing devices including requirements and test methods. Products must conform to the standard in order to attain CE marking on the product.
- BS EN 1155:1997 – The European standard for electronically powered hold open devices. Products must conform to this standard in order to attain a CE mark.
- BS EN 1125: 2008 – Applies to panic exit devices where the exit door is used by the public and provides safe and effective escape through the doorway. The emphasis of products covered by this standard is the safe exit, rather than security.
- BS EN 179: 2008 – Applies to emergency applications where the exit door is used by people who are familiar with the emergency exit and its hardware, and therefore a panic situation is unlikely to occur.
- BS8300: 2009 – The British standard for design of buildings and their approaches to meet the needs of disabled people in line with Approved Doc M.
- BS EN 12320: 2012 – The European standard for padlocks and padlock fittings, requirements and test methods.
Our commitment to service, quality and excellence was recognised in 2015 when we were granted a Royal Warrant of Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen as a supplier of fitted kitchens. This warrant is a mark of recognition for companies that have supplied royal households for at least five years, and demonstrated service, quality and excellence in the process.
Carbon Trust Standard
Howdens Joinery Group PLC has been certified for real carbon reduction and commitment to ongoing reductions.
Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE) Regulations
As part of the UK’s Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE), Howdens Joinery has joined the Distributor Take Back scheme (DTS) to increase recycling rates of electrical goods in the UK and allow end users to recycle any old electrical items free of charge.