This simple steak dish is made for two and the secret to making it a success is having tasty tomatoes and fresh oregano for the Pizzaiola sauce. Go organic for the best tomato flavour or even home-grown for a dish made with plenty of love. Taking only 15 minutes to cook and less than five minutes to prepare, it’s a great one for busy homes or for the summer months when you want to spend more time in the sun.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 x 300g rump steaks
Sea salt and milled black pepper
300g ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1 handful fresh oregano, roughly chopped
200ml white wine
Roasted potatoes and salad to serve
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan to medium high.
- Smear some of the olive oil over the steaks, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Place the steaks in the centre of the pan. Depending on their thickness, for medium rare, cook for 6 minutes, turning halfway through. For medium, allow 7-8 minutes, and for well done, allow 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and keep warm.
- Put the remaining olive oil in the pan, and add the tomatoes, garlic and oregano. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes, then turn up the heat and add the white wine.
- Simmer the sauce for 3 minutes, until the volume reduces a little.
- Serve the steak with the sauce, roasted potatoes and a simple salad.