Vegan Roasted Gochujang Cauliflower
An impressive vegan centerpiece that can be eaten hot or cold, this whole roasted gochujang cauliflower from Masterchef Champion of Champions, Ping Coombes, will serve 2-4 guests as a vegan main or side dish. The cooking is all done in the oven, so it is easy for novices and experienced cooks alike. Served with a garlic and sesame crumb, this dish will delight the taste buds, while a tub of Gochujang goes a long way so there are plenty more delicious meals that can be made with it.
- 1 head of medium cauliflower, kept whole & retain leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 heaped tablespoon of Gochujang paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and unpeeled
- 100g sourdough or crusty bread, blitzed
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Large pinch of salt
For the sauce
Garlic & sesame crumb
- Trim your cauliflower and keep it whole. Remove the leaves if there is any and trim off the brown or woody bits. Retain them.
- Put a large pot of water to boil, enough to fit your cauliflower and add 1 tsp salt. Poach your cauliflower for 5 mins covered.
- Remove and drain off excess water
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a large mixing bowl. Coat the cauliflower with the sauce mix and place in a snug roasting tin.
- Toss the leaves in the rest of the sauce mix in the mixing bowl and arrange the leaves around the cauliflower. It doesn't matter if they poke out of the roasting tin. Let it sit for 10 mins
- Preheat your steam assist oven on 195c fan.
- In the meantime roughly blitz the sourdough with 1 clove garlic in a food processor. Place in another roasting tray, season with salt, sesame seeds and oil. Mix well.
- Place the sourdough at the top of the oven and the cauliflower underneath with enough room for air flow.
- Roast sourdough crumb for 10 - 15 mins till brown and crispy. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Roast the cauliflower for 25 mins then switch the oven to top grill on 280c and grill for 10 mins. Baste with pan juices with a pastry brush and continue to grill until the top is slightly charred.
- Remove and baste with pan juices. Cool for 10 mins and sprinkle on the sourdough crumbs. Serve hot or cold as a main or side dish.