Serves 6, 20 mins preparation, 30 mins cooking, 3-4 hours chilling
Ingredients for the panna cotta
- 300ml double cream
- 50ml full fat milk
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1½ leaves gelatine
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
6 ramekin dishes
- Put the cream, milk and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Cut the vanilla pod in half lengthways and scrape the seeds out. Add these to the pan, along with the pod. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Soak the gelatine in iced water for 5 minutes until soft. Remove it from the water, and squeeze it firmly to discard as much water as possible. Add it to the cream mixture, along with the rum, and stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into a jug and stand it in a bowl of iced water. Stir frequently until it starts to thicken.
- Pour into ramekin dishes and chill in the fridge for 3-4 hours.