To serve (optional)
A few handfuls of peanuts, or toasted sesame seeds with Salad leaves
- Deep fryer or wok
- Another wok or large frying pan
- Put all the chicken pieces in a large bowl and add the wine, ginger and garlic. Mix well with your hands and leave for at least 5 minutes.
- Combine the salt, cornflour and baking powder in a bowl, mix well with a spoon.
- Add the flour mix to the chicken, and use your hands to make sure the chicken is well coated. Arrange the pieces on a plate or baking tray.
- Pour the oil into a deep fryer or wok and heat to 180°C.
- While the oil is heating, make the sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a small bowl. (You can make the sauce in advance, and keep it in the fridge for up to a week.)
- When the oil is hot, carefully lower in the chicken pieces and fry until they turn golden. If you want to do this in batches, drain each batch on kitchen paper and keep it warm while you do the rest.
- Once all the chicken is cooked, put the sauce into a large, clean wok or frying pan over a medium heat. When it starts to bubble, add the crispy fried chicken, and coat it evenly with the sticky sweet sauce.
- Top with peanuts or toasted sesame seeds, and serve with salad leaves.